Thursday, July 16, 2009

Record Using a Microphone Without Speaker Output

"I have a Dell Vostro 200, running xp. I have my speakers and mic hooked up to the back, and i have an external recording device (Eventide DIR911t) attached to the front with a regular stereo wire. Is it possible to have all the Audio from the mic muted on my speakers but still output to the recording device.

Thanks"

I believe you can!

During my time doing cassette to CD transfers on multiple computers and with multiple sound cards, I've had to get a little creative. I think if you go to your Control Panel and simply click "Sounds and Audio Devices," then the "Advanced" button, then "Options," "Properties," under the Playback list you should see "Microphone" listed. Make sure that box is checked, then click "OK." Then, under "Microphone," click "Mute." This should mute the output of the microphone to the speakers but not inhibit using it to record.

To make sure you're using your Microphone to record, go to "Options," "Properties," and select "Recording," making sure the check box for "Microphone" is ticked, click OK, and then make sure the checkbox "Select" is ticked under "Microphone." This should ensure you're using that as your input device.

This should allow you to record and save that audio without feedback problems.

Hope this helps

No comments:

Post a Comment