Friday, July 17, 2009

PC Locks Up When Converting Files

"ive been converting for yrs and had no issues until a few months back , everytime i try to convert files to burn to dvd my pc either locks or quits and shuts down , i did hear it was because ther pc may be dirty so ive recently cleaned it out free from any dust etc, but i still have this issue , also some of the dvds i manage to get done either short episode progs are now jumping , this never used to happen , i have 2 gig of memory and a dual core processor which should be ample to do this , can any one help me out please."

This can be tough. Typically, software does not cause this. I just fixed a computer that used to do the same thing. There's a chance that an upper, normally unused block of memory is bad. As soon as I swapped the memory out, I could do my video transfer and slideshow renders with no problems.

To check this, I would try a memory test. This you load on boot and run the advanced test, and just let it run.

If you do end up needed new memory, an easy way to check what to buy is using Crucial's Memory Scan.

Let me know what you find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment