Thursday, July 16, 2009

Quick Help on a Scanning Question

"Hi
Could some one give me some advice please.
I've had a Digital Camera for about a year now, a MINOLTA Z2 which I enjoy using but I do miss my AE1 SLR so I'm going to use both because drooling over a lovely DSLR is like drooling over a beautiful women I cannot afford either, so what I want to know is what would be the best quality, to have them develop and printed and scan them myself or have them put on CD I can either scan prints or neg's."

I would recommend purchasing a scanner that is only meant to scan negatives . Flatbeds tend to be a little less accurate with their focus, and the images don't come out nearly as well when you scan negatives with a flatbed. I'm assuming you have a flatbed as 1200 dpi is typically the upper range for consumer flatbeds. I happen to know that DVD Your Memories uses Nikon Coolscan ED 5000s when they scan negatives, as well as slides. If that's above your budget, there are less expensive alternatives with less customizable options. Either way, stay away from the Hammacher-Schlemmer unit, or any other $100 job out there. They are not quality and actually just take a hi-res picture of your slides/negatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment